“Taxi Violence have never been a band to play things by the book. In their formative days they won a national ‘battle of the bands’ contest – and promptly politely refused the prize of a record company contract because it didn’t offer them creative and financial control. Also, while their local peers dressed in skinny jeans and electro-neon and sought to emulate the burgeoning ‘indie’ sound, the band followed their guitar-slinging muse by delving into the original life-blood of rock ‘n roll’s harder edges.” – Evan Milton
Early in 2006, the front covers of South Africa´s daily entertainment newspapers throughout three different cities announced the arrival of “The next BIG things!”. It was with a sense of uncanny prophecy, for in the months that followed, Taxi Violence would, through sheer dedication and solid musicianship, rise from relative local obscurity to being a band in national demand.
Taxi Violence have travelled a long and independent road to proving themselves as one of the best live acts in South Africa. Their sound can be described as blues-infused, retro rock with a pinch of sleaze and bourbon.
Since their inception, Taxi Violence have gone on to rock every significant venue and headline every major festival in South Africa, as well as taking their unique brand of rock and quality live shows abroad.
TAXI VIOLENCE’S ACCOLADES:
- Four South African Music Award (SAMA) nominations – 2008 (Best Rock Album), 2012 (Best Rock Album and Group/Duo Of The Year), 2015 (Best Rock Album)
- Five MK Award Nominations – 2005, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014.
- Living It Up used in Audi SA / Protea Cricket Master Class online Campaign 2016
- SA Band featured on ProSieben German TV Channel Taff: 2016 TV Documentary about South Africa. Aired in Germany, Switzerland and Austria
- Teamed up with Windhoek lager in a Nationwide Beer Brand meets Rock ‘n Roll band campaign. 2015
- Devil ‘n Pistol features in Spud 2: The Madness Continues, starring John Cleese – 2013
- Jimi’s Revenge was chosen as theme song for the popular show, MAN TV on SABC – 2010.
- Toured in Germany and Holland in 2009, and had four tracks playlisted on Fritz Radio
- Voted ‘Best Live Act of 2007’ by Media24.com.
- Untie Yourself reached number four on 5FM’s Top 40 – 2007.
- Untie Yourself was voted GQ Magazine’s ‘Album Of The Month’ in January 2007.
- Headlined the Nokia Rock Summer Tour in 2009.
TAXI VIOLENCE GIG HIGHLIGHTS:
- Harley Davidson Africa Bike Week
- Jose Cuervo product launch
- RVCA Clothing Brand Launch
- FORR Fest, Mozambique
- Park Life, Johannesberg
- Parks Acoustics, Pretoria
- Up the Creek
- Rocking the Daisies
- The Assembly with Powerderfinger
- European Tour 2009
- My Coke Fest with 3 Doors Down, Hoobastank, Staind and Evanescence
- Synergy Live
- Innibos Nasionale Kunstfees
- Klein Karoo Nasionale Kunstefees
- The Design Indaba, Cape Town
- … and many more